Moshe Tamir (1924-2004) was born in Odessa, USSR (now Ukraine). In 1927 he immigrated with his family to Israel and in 1939 moved to Jerusalem. In 1942 he joined the Zionist pioneering training program at Kibbutz Beit Alpha. Between 1943 and 1944 he served in the Palmach in the Gilboa region, and from 1947 to 1948 he was a member of the Haganah. After the establishment of the IDF, he served in a combat unit and in 1949 was wounded in the battle for the defense of Jerusalem, and in 1950 he changed his name to Tamir. From 1960 to 1955 and from 1961 to 1963 he lived in Paris. He returned to Israel in 1963, The supervisor of art studies at the Ministry of Education, who developed teaching seminars and initiated the Art Week in schools, and held this position until 1988.
Tamir's early work, from the end of the 1940's, contained images related to the War of Independence. These paintings, such as "The wounded Amnon" (1948), contained images of soldiers and victims, characterized by an expressive painting style and the combination of abstraction and realism. In the 1950's, Tamir began to use a heavy manifestation in his paintings, which became decorative. The themes that appeared in his works include images of animals and birds, along with mystical descriptions and archetypes.