Avraham Ofek (1990-1935) was born in Burgas, Bulgaria. As a child, Ofek participated in activities of Hashomer Hatzair in Bulgaria. During the Second World War he spent three years with his family in Ferdinand.
In 1949 he immigrated to Israel and settled in Kibbutz Ein Hamifratz, where he studied painting under the guidance of painter Aryeh Rothman. His formative works included images of animals, agricultural machinery, landscape of the kibbutz, Wadi Ara and Jaffa, as well as images of workers. In 1958 Ofek traveled to Italy to study and paint at the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence. Under the influence of the wall paintings, which Ofek saw as the main medium in his work, he created some of his well-known works, such as the wall painting in the village of Uriya (1970), the wall painting at the Jerusalem Post Office (1972).
At the end of the 1960s and during the 1970s he was involved in avant-garde activities in the framework of the "Mashkof" group and later in the "Leviathan" group, which he founded with Shmuel Ackerman and Michael Grobman. The group, established in 1976, sought to combine symbolism, metaphysics and Judaism, and conceptual and environmental art. In the framework of the group, Ofek created exhibits and symbolic activities that combine Jewish tradition. From the 1980s, Ofek returned to a more traditional painting, and continued to engage in Jewish contexts, landscapes of the country and landscapes of his city, Jerusalem.