Pinchas Litvinovsky (1894-1985) was born to a family of religious merchants in Novogorgyesk (now Ukraine) under the name Piotr Vladimirovich Litvinovsky. In 1912 he immigrated to Israel and began studying at Bezalel Academy. After a period he left and began his studies at the Art Academy of St. Petersburg. In 1919, Litvinovsky returned to Israeli on the ship "Ruslan" with his wife and settled in Tiberias. In 1926, he designed the stage for the "Dybbuk" of the Habima theater in Tel Aviv. After two years he moved to Jerusalem. In Jerusalem, Litvinovsky was involved in the community of young modern artists. He exhibited at the "Association of Hebrew Artists" (1924-1925). He also participated in the "Modern Artists" exhibitions held in the theater "The Hut" (1928-1926) and in the activities of the Egged group (1929). In the late 1930's he joined an artists' colony that was established in Motza Ilit.
early in the 1920s Litvinovsky created paintings under the influence of Russian constructivism. The themes of the paintings included portraits and descriptions of oriental figures, he also designed the symbol of the "Ohel" Theater (1925) in this style. From the 1930's his painting tended to expressionism. During the 1950s, he frequently created works on paper, including graphical reductions.