Aharon Kahana (1905-1967) was born as Herman Aaron Kahn in Stuttgart, Germany, to a wealthy merchant family. In 1922, after severing ties with his parents, he began studying art. In the second half of the 1920s he lived in Paris and Berlin, where he was exposed to modern art and was influenced by Cubist art. For his livelihood, he worked on designing shop windows and painting portraits. In 1934 he immigrated to Israel and settled in Ramat Gan.
After his immigration, symbolic motifs close to Canaanite art began to appear in his work, as well as the use of synthetic cubism and an increasing tendency to abstraction. In 1948, Kahana was among the founders of the New Horizons movement. In the 1950s, together with his wife, he set up a ceramics workshop called "Beit HaYotzer", which operated from his home. In this workshop he designed useful and decorative tools as well as large ceramic plates. The tools were characterized by geometrical design and strong coloration. In the sixties his works are influenced by pop art.
Among his well-known works is the painting "Akedat Yitzhak" (1950) and the Ceramic Wall (1954) on the same topic at the Hebrew University's Givat Ram campus in jerusalem. After his death, his home, designed by architect Ze'ev Rechter, became a gallery dedicated to ceramic art.